I once took a class and the instructor asked if anyone suffered from SOS: Shiny Object Syndrome. I thought that was a great question to ask:
Do you suffer from Brand Shiny Object Syndrome?
For too many brands, the answer is probably (and sadly) “Yes!” Take this Brand SOS quiz and see how you score. Be honest and give yourself one point for every yes answer. And, like golf, a lower score is preferable:
- Do you jump from marketing activity to marketing activity, barely pausing to review metrics?
- Do you confuse tactics with strategies?
- Are your marketing efforts “episodic” and disconnected rather than “serial” and directly connected?
- Do you get excited about new metrics, despite how small or nebulous they can be? (“We got a dozen new followers!” “Three people liked us!”)
- Do you refresh your website, but reuse the same old copy?
- Do you change your logo because someone in your industry changed theirs?
- Do you update your tagline at midnight because you had a sudden burst of inspiration?
We are all guilty at one time or another of some of these, but if you scored more than a 2 it’s time to pull over, wave the brand flag and surrender for a little team or agency help.
What about you? What other kinds of brand shiny object syndrome behaviors are you guilty of? Post them below in the comments!