Working with a Public Relations or Marketing Agency should be a collaboration. You are paying the agency to provide you with advice, guidance, strategies and recommendations — in addition to the tactics we usually associate with agency activities. But, collaboration means working with the agency and actually taking its advice to heart. Here are 8 Rules for Working with Your PR and Marketing Agency:
- Do something that makes you feel uncomfortable.
- Always have an agenda for your meetings.
- Let them develop the first draft of the quotes for your press releases.
- Remember: PR actually doesn’t stand for Press Release.
- Don’t ask them to “Just call a few editors and get them to write a story.”
- Believe them when they tell you the editors are not interested. They’ve been pitching your story all week.
- Don’t ask them to call to see if the editors received the release.
- The media is ALWAYS on deadline. It’s kinda their thing.
Remember, you’ve hired your agency for their expertise in helping obtain media coverage. Trust them.